EASLEY — The Easley Fire Department responded last Thursday to a call in the 100 block of Oates Avenue just behind the old Buck’s restaurant off Pendleton Street in Easley.
Emergency medical services responded but Fire Chief Butch Womack said services were refused by the homeowner.
“The first arriving unit reported reported smoke and fire visible in the carport area,” said Lieutenant Dewayne Dobbins. “Extinguishment, ventilation, salvage, and overhaul operations were performed within a two hour period and the fire was contained to the laundry room with extension to the carport area and into the attic area above the laundry room.”
The utilities were cut off to the residence by Easley Combined Utilities and Fort Hill Natural Gas Authority and representatives with the City of Easley Building Officials Office and the Easley Police Department assisted with on scene operations.
“He’s alright,” said Womack. “I think there was probably some smoke inhalation but he’s OK.”
No smoke detectors were sounding inside the residence and according to Dobbins, there was not a fire suppression system in the residence.
No other injuries reported at the scene.
“I think the homeowner is staying with a relative across the street for now,” said Womack. “But luckily for him the fire was contained mostly to the carport area. His house wasn’t a loss or anything. He’ll be back home soon.”
Womack said the fire remains under investigation but arson is not suspected.
Reach Kasie Strickland at 864-855-0355.