EASLEY — The Easley Area Museum is holding a special ceremony on Thursday to unveil and rededicate a monument to honor William Milliken Hagood Sr.
The seven-foot-tall monument was originally placed in front of the Glenwood Mill office on Hagood Street.
According to family accounts, during the late 1950’s a one story addition was added to the front of the mill and the old mill office was demolished. The monument was removed and forgotten.
Years later, William (Billy) M. Hagood III (the great-grandson of W.M. Hagood, Sr.) who was an avid gardener discovered the monument while transplanting water lilies from the Glenwood Mill pond.
Billy informed several Hagood family members of his discovery including his aunt, Essie Hagood Martin, daughter of W.M. Hagood, Sr.
Martin arranged for the memorial to be moved to a water garden Billy was constructing at his home on North B Street in Easley — which was where it remained for the remainder of his life.
When Billy passed away last December, Beth Hagood donated the memorial to the Easley Area Museum, Inc.
The unveiling and re-dedication service will be attended by Hagood family members and invited guests and is expected to include a brief history of the museum and remarks by Easley Mayor Larry Bagwell.
After the ceremony the museum will be open for visitation where items related to W.M. Hagood, Sr. will be on display.
The ceremony will take place at 11 a.m. on the lawn and front porch of the museum located at 201 South Pendleton Street in Easley.
The museum is open to the public on Saturday and Sunday from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m.
Reach Kasie Strickland at 864-855-0355.