Burdine Lodge restoration project groundbreaking is Oct. 31

By: Staff Report

PICKENS — A groundbreaking ceremony for the Burdine Lodge Restoration Project has been scheduled for 2 p.m. Oct. 31 at the Hagood Mill Historic Site.

Representatives of Pickens County, the Pickens County Historical Society, the Hagood Mill Historic Site, Anderson District United Methodist Men, the S.C. Methodist Conference, and the S.C. Conference Historical Society will speak briefly at the site of the planned reconstruction.

Bishop L. Jonathan Holston, resident Bishop of the Columbia Area of the United Methodist Church, is also scheduled to participate.

Built in the 1760’s, this historic log house was moved in the 1790’s to Old Vinland School Road in the Dacusville Community of what was then known as the Pendleton District.

In 1796 the house became the home of Samuel Burdine, an early Methodist in the area, and a lodging place for Bishop Francis Asbury when traveling from North Carolina into South Carolina through the Saluda Pass.

In his journal Asbury documented visits with Samuel Burdine in November 1800, accompanied by Bishop Richard Whatcoat, and again in November, 1802.

The Burdine home also became a meeting place for a Methodist Society which today is known as Antioch United Methodist Church of the North Easley Charge in the Greenville District of the South Carolina Conference.

The log house was donated to the Pickens County Historical Society by Mrs. Nell Davis Patton, who had lived in it as a child, and her family. The reconstruction project is expected to take at least a year.

The Hagood Mill Historic Site is located at 138 Hagood Mill Road just off of U.S. 178.

Staff Report