EASLEY — The Easley Fire Department had a busy day on Wednesday, responding to two different structure fires that occurred just hours apart.
The first call came in on June 6 at 10:24 a.m., when the City of Easley Fire Department responded to 200 Duvall Street, within the city limits of Easley, for a report of an oven fire in the residence.
According to a release from the department, upon arrival, no smoke or fire was visible from the outside of the building.
“Fire personnel entered apartment 207 to find a light haze of smoke in the apartment, but there was no fire present,” said officials. “Power to the oven was disconnected and maintenance was notified to make the necessary repairs.”
Fire crews stated there was a fire suppression system in place, however, it did not activate because there was no fire. Smoke detectors were present and activated to alert the occupant.
The windows in the apartment were opened to naturally ventilate each room.
“This fire was the first of two apartment fires in Easley today, but there was no damage outside of the oven at this fire,” said Fire Chief Butch Womack. “Again, a working smoke alarm prevented loss of life or property.”
The Easley Police Department responded to assist with traffic control and no injuries were reported from the incident.
A few hours later, at 1:11 p.m., the EFD responded to 103-F Riverstone Court within the city limits of Easley for a reported structure fire.
Upon arrival, light smoke was visible from the roof area, officials said. The fire was quickly confined to the stove.
The kitchen area sustained moderate damage from the fire and smoke and overhaul operations were conducted to ensure that the fire was confined to the room of origin, the reports read.
Smoke detectors were present in the apartment and alerted the occupants to the fire.
Although there were no fire suppression systems in place, no other units sustained damage. Easley Combined Utilities responded to disconnect power to the effected apartment and the American Red Cross responded to assist the occupants with personal needs.
“This fire is yet another example of how smoke alarms save lives,” said Womack. “We encourage everyone to have working smoke alarms in the home.”
Again, no injuries were reported as a result of the fire.